Tuesday, March 2, 2010

How To use up Bread

Sorry for such a bad picture, but I was hungry and I had just warmed up my Pigs in a Blanket. And I was ready to eat! As you can tell I also burnt the cheese on one of the hot dogs.

Okay, when I was a kid we didn't eat that much bread at our house. I don't know why we just didn't. Now that I'm married we don't eat that much bread at my house. It seems to be a cycle.

So I learned from my mom, who would use up the bread by making pigs in a blankets. Most people use cresant rolls, but we used bread because it would use up what we already had. As you can see it is pretty simple. She would take a hot dog, a piece of cheese and lay them on the bread diagnoly. Then she would use toothpicks to keep the bread wrapped around the hot dog. She would heat them in the oven for about 20 min at 350. I loved this for supper!! It went great with Mac and Cheese. You should have seen it the first night I told Accounting Dude that we were going to have Pigs in a Blanket and I pulled out a half a loaf of bread so it didn't go to waste. He was a little skeptical, but now he loves them.

So my frugal tip would be - Don't let the bread go to waste. To borrow a line from Taco Bell think out side of the bun or crescent roll as the case may be.

1 comment:

  1. How clever!! This would be perfect for us, because we don't eat much sandwich bread either. I usually stick whatever bread is left in the freezer to make homemade crutons. :)

    ReplyDelete