Monday, December 28, 2009

Tips on Tuesday

Make your own laundry detergent. I know it sounds like a pain, but it is actually fun to make and pretty cheap. I haven't figured out the cost per load, but it can't be that much. Not buying detergent allowes me to either save that money or buy other house hold items. I think I have made detergent for about a year now, and love it. I have learned that I need to keep one bottle of laundry detergent on hand because we did run out of detergent while I was sick and Accounting Dude would not make it himself. Instead he went to the store and purchased a bottle of detergent without a coupon and not on sale. I learned my lesson on that one.

This is our finished laundry detergent. I really wish it would dispense out of this spout, but it is to thick.
This is me trying to disolve the bar soap. I usually use Ivory, but it looks like I used something different here.


My recipe ( Came from the net. I wish I could remember where, but I can't)


Items needed: Large Pot, Slotted Spoon, Water, Bar of Ivory Soap, Borax, Arm & Hammer Washing Powder, and Container to Keep Detergent In (2 gallons).


Grade bar of soap into a large pot add 6 cups of water. Let the soap melt over med/low heat for about 30-45 mins.

Mix 3/4 cups Washing powder and 3/4 cups of Borax in a seperate bowl.

After the soap is melted or disolved add bowl of Washing Powder and Borax to the melted soap and water. Keep over low heat. Stir untit the under mixture is disolved.
Add disloved mixture to your container and fill it up with water. I usually add cold water, but I don't think it would matter if you added hot water.
Let me know if you try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment