Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tips on Tuesday

I know it sound simple and easy, but you would be surprised how many people don’t do it – CARPOOL. I know what you are thinking why would that be a money saving tip. We all know about carpooling. Well, I love to carpool. Actually, I don’t like to drive and if I can find someone else to drive me I will be more than willing to chip in a few dollars for a ride. Where Accounting Dude and I save the most money carpooling is that we ride together to work. We actually work only four or five blocks away from each other and my building is on the way to his. You would be surprised by how many people look at us like we are crazy. Not only do I carpool with Accounting Dude, but when I go out with friends I try to find someone to ride with. If Accounting Dude and I are going to a football game we are more than willing to take others with us. They usually chip in for the parking.

The benefits:
1. Saves Money on Gas
2. Wear and Tear on only one vehicle, which is good since both our vehicles have over 100,000 miles on them
3. Could have one car if we had to – not that I want to test this.
4. Spend time together – making trips go faster.

The disadvantages:
1. Can’t be flexible – my dentist office can not get that I can’t take cancellation appointments.
2. Accounting Dude had to change his time at work
3. May have to find a ride if one of us gets sick or if the car we rode into town had problems during the day. Both of these situations have happened to us.


Accounting Dude and I have carpooled with each other for the last four years and I can’t tell you how much money we have saved on gas. The past summer when everyone was complaining about the price of gas it didn’t seem to affect us as much. I figure one day we will have to start taking two cars, but until this time comes we will enjoy carpooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment